Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Can girls get breast cancer under the age of 18


Can girls get breast cancer under the age of 18?
I'm sixteen and I felt a lump in my breast. My mother won't take me to the doctor because she thinks that my breast are still growing or that I'm close to my period. I'm not close to my period My breast stopped growing at fourteen and I'm sure of it. Do girls get breast cancer?
Women's Health - 17 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
they can
2 :
Your breasts don't stop growing until you are 25. I went up a whole cup size between 18 and 24. You can get breast cancer at any age.
3 :
from 20+ you could get breast cancer, you 16, soooo maybe, maybe not- anyways you should go in case
4 :
According to my doctor it is uncommon but it can happen. I've had 6 lumps removed from my breasts between the ages of 12 to 19. They all turned out to be non-cancerous though. so don't worry, and there is no harm in going to get it checked out. G'luck and don't stress :)
5 :
YES, they can and they sometimes do. If your mother won't take you then ask for the family's insurance card and take yourself. If that won't happen then talk to the school's nurse, she may be able to get you on the right track.
6 :
Girls (and boys) of any age can get breast cancer, but I don't think that what this is. Your breasts do not stop growing, they might take a break, but they won't stop. They'll change size and shape as you mature, go through hormonal changes etc. Are you sure that what you're feeling isn't a gland? If it's not too weird, talk to your school nurse and get their opinion.
7 :
well they can but it could be just a small cyst i have a small lump as well and that's what my doctor said but if u really feel like u need to get it checked out and u r 18 call a doctor your self or go to the nearest family planning organisation near u
8 :
Hi, Your mother is correct in that your breasts are still growing, but she is wrong about the cancer side of this. If you have a lump, you NEED to get it checked. Most will turn out to be what are called benign cysts, but the whole point of looking for them, and checking them is to identify the ones that are not. Cancer, even breast cancer can strike at any age, EVEN before puberty - amazing isn't it. Just because most patients are older doesn't mean all are. PLEASE do yourself a favour, talk to your Mum again, and if she won't help you, there are other options. Start with your school nurse maybe, or a local family planning clinic. If you explain on the phone that you mother is with-holding access to medical treatment, (which is what it amounts to) then they are likely to see you on a free basis) Don't stress because it is not a major catastrophe, just one of those things that you need to follow the steps for. Good Luck, I'll be thinking of you.
9 :
Do you know that in this world there's nothing in-possible therefore i believe they can.anyway it may be that you are still growing girls pass some stages including breast pains and lumps.
10 :
Yes, you can get cancer, but it is highly unlikely. I had the same issue and went to the gynecologist who did a breast exam. It turned out that I had fibrocystic changes due to hormones, which can happen any time through out the month. I had to cut out caffeine and drink more water. It really helped. Go to your Gynecologist first and see what's going on.
11 :
yes.. it can happen at any age. if you have a history of breast cancer in your family your at a higher risk of it. you may want to get yearly mammograms done. hope i helped ya.
12 :
Very rare, but could happen. See a doctor.
13 :
i think there is a possibility, it has nothing to do with age.
14 :
Just go to the doctor on your own, your 18 and an adult. It's safer to get it checked out now then regret it.
15 :
You should keep an eye one it, probably get it checked out. Most likely it will just be a cyst or a new change in your breasts. Remind your mom about the seriousness of breast cancer. Especially if you have any sort of family history(?) .
16 :
Ok well... I can understand where your mom thinks that there is probably nothing wrong but on the other hand wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry because women can get breast cancer at any age.... I hope that you dont have breast cancer and everything turns out ok but I would get it checked out just incase there is something wierd going on.... not necisarly breast cancer but also anything else. - I wish you the best and I hope everything will be alright But pleaseee get it checked by a doctor BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY
17 :
Yes, breast cancer don't choose women?





  Read more discussions :