Saturday, January 16, 2010

What are my chances of getting breast cancer


What are my chances of getting breast cancer?
I am 22 years old and I am curious to know what my chances are. My grandmother (on mothers side had it and went through treatment had a mastectomy of one), both my aunts (same side) had lumps...the younger of the two had stage four breast cancer and the other aunt it was malignant. My mother is going through testing right now as well. The doctors have started my cousins, who are 25 year old females, on yearly mammogram testing. Any info would be appreciated!
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Whew ... that is a positive family history. Certian types of breast cancers run in families, so given your family history, I would get regular check-ups (especially if your mother tests positive).
2 :
Not everything is about Genetics, unfortunately. However you can take a Genetic Blood test to determine your chances. My father had Breast Cancer, and So did his side, and my mother's side, but I got Breast Cancer all on my own. Speak to your doctor and see how early he would like to start you on mammograms. My doctor started me at the age of 30. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 42.
3 :
It is good to be proactive about these things especially when you have breast cancer in your family history. This does not mean though that you will necessarily get it. There are some cancers that are genetic (can be passed on from your parents). To identify if you could be affected by your family history, there are gene tests that you can have done. Here is some more info specifically designed for for young people on hereditary cancers and ways of testing for it: http://www.nowwhat.org.au/info/factsheets/hereditary-cancer
4 :
You are young and should get check ups give thanks to Susan Komen race for the 'awareness'
5 :
I would be waiting until your mother's test result come back before worrying too much. My maternal grandfather had breast cancer. My mother and one of her sisters also had breast cancer. When my sister was diagnosed at the age of 40, they asked our family (big family) to take part in a research program - it was one of the presearch programs that found the BRAC gene, which they found many of our family carry, including my sister and myself. I started regular mammograms from age 36 as a precaution. At age 46 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, ironically not a type associated with the BRAC gene that I carry. Genetics are only part of the equation with breast cancer assosiated with about 10% of cases. So 90% of those diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history of the disease. IF the one your grandmother had is te result of an inherited gene, then there is a 50% chance she has passed this to your mother. If your mother has the gene, then there is a 50% chance she has passed it on to you, otherwise you have the exact same risk as any other woman. If your mother did not inherit the gene, she cannot pass it on to you.
6 :
Hereditary breast cancer is rare - only 5 - 10% of all breast cancer cases are hereditary. Breast cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is even less likely to be hereditary. As your cousins are only 25, I assume their mother/s was/were diagnosed with breast cancer very young (daughters of mothers who have had breast cancer begin routine mammograms when they are ten years younger than their mothers were at diagnosis; this is done as a precaution, even if the mother's cancer was not due to one of the BRCA genes). Has it been established that your relatives' cancer was due to one of the rare faulty BRCA genes? If a parent carries one of the BRCA genes, each of her/his children has a 50% chance of inheriting that gene. If they don't carry one, then their children cannot inherit it, no matter how many other family members carry it. For a female, inheriting one of the BRCA genes means a 50-80% lifetime chance of developing breast cancer - that is, by the age of around 80. I hope your mother's results are good; if she does have breast cancer, she will be told whether or not it is due to one of the BRCA genes, and if it is you will be offered appropriate testing. If your grandmother's cancer was due to one of the BRCA genes, your mother will be tested to see if she has inherited it





 Read more discussions :