Sunday, December 20, 2009

What are my chances of getting breast cancer if three women in my family have had it


What are my chances of getting breast cancer if three women in my family have had it?
My mom and two of my aunts have had breast cancer now. One of the aunts is my mom's sister and the other is my dad's sister. What are the chances of my sister or me getting it?
Cancer - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
better than average
2 :
Unfortunately, having had a mother with breast cancer your risk for getting the disease becomes higher. There is a blood test you can have to predetermine the likelihood of getting this type of cancer by examining certain genes. Here is a link for more info. http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/Breast-Cancer-BRCA-Gene-Test
3 :
ok well i am 12 years old my mom died of breast cancer and so did my sister and my grandma and surprisingly my grandpa FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHO THINK MEN CANT GET BREAST CANCER YOUR WRONG its just not as common and my aunt has breast cancer so lets just say you have about a 70% chance of getting it because many of my family also doesnt have it but best wishes 4 you
4 :
If you have had an abortion and your mother had breast cancer you have an infinite chance of getting breast cancer. If you use an estrogen based birth control your chances are pretty good too since estrogen is now on the CDC's list of top carcinogens.
5 :
I would say 50/50 as my mom and 2 aunts had cervical cancer and i thought i would get it' but i got cysts on my intestines instead,,,,,weird but true,,,,,,after my surgery i will survive with god;s will...... lol
6 :
Sorry to tell you that the chance is very high. However, there are lots of different factors resulting in cancers. Don't be too nervous. All people have the opportunity to get cancers. What you can do is to take care from now on. You should do the annual breast examination (may be more often, pls check it with a specialty doctor), have a good lifestyle and diet. "A wide variety of factors may influence an individual's likelihood of developing breast cancer; these factors are referred to as risk factors. The established risk factors for breast cancer include: female gender, age, previous breast cancer, benign breast disease, hereditary factors (family history of breast cancer), early age at menarche (first menstrual period), late age at menopause, late age at first full-term pregnancy, obesity, low physical activity, use of postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy, use of oral contraceptives, exposure to low-dose ionizing radiation in midlife and exposure to high-dose ionizing radiation early in life." (Quote from "http://www.smile.org.au/cancers/breast%20cancer.htm") You'd better learn more knowledge about the prevention of cancers. There is a huge database suggested. "www.smile.org.au"
7 :
It can really vary depending on different facts: where they there cancers genetic? where there tumors positive respecters to steroids and so on. What I would do is always triple check myself and make sure your doctor knows about your family history. The more you know the better your chances are to survie. That the most imporent part



 Read more discussions :