Monday, March 12, 2012

I have found a lump in my breast and it has been there for 2 or 3 months now. What are the chances its cancer


I have found a lump in my breast and it has been there for 2 or 3 months now. What are the chances its cancer?
ALL on my dads side: My great grandpa had brain cancer. My grandpa had leukemia. My great grandma had bladder AND breast cancer. My grandma had breast cancer. My dad HAS skin cancer. I am 22 years old and I am trying to get pregnant so I REALLY need some answers...Thank you.
Cancer - 17 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It could be cancer. It's obviously in your genes to some extent. The best thing to do would be not to worry, but DEFINITELY go to see your doctor and get it checked out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Don't be scared, and don't leave it too late. Good luck babe, I hope its not :)
2 :
If the lump can be moved when you're touching it, you shouldn't have to worry. If it is hard, I would get it looked at. Good luck!!!
3 :
Get it checked out but don't worry. Yes it could be cancerous (and can therefore be treated, the earlier the better) but it is more likely to be something else. My wife gets them all the time, at first we panicked and even had them removed but now we just get them checked, which is the most important thing to do. Best Wishes to you.
4 :
If it runs in your family I would definitely get it checked out. A doctor's exam is definitely a better opinion than yahoo answers.
5 :
Really an internet forum is not the place to be diagnosing such a serious thing as cancer. If you really want to know, and really want to be sure, it is best to go to your doctor and get tested.
6 :
Ok first-you need to get it checked out-Sorry but trying to figure out your chances of it being cancer will not make it go away-Your 22 so your risk is lower-usually at this age lumps are usually due to fibrocystic breast tissue (feels lumpy, sometimes uncomfortable around your period) But there is always a chance (even though its smaller at this age) Does the lump hurt? Is it moveable? Any other changes to the breasts? I suggest to go to the dr (OB/GYN) since your trying to get pregnant anyway..They can do a breast exam and if there is a concern they will send you for further tests.. I work in Oncology and sometimes people with no family history get cancer and some with history of it do not. You never know-but the risk is increased if it is on your maternal side (breast cancer) they can even check to see if you carry a gene for it. But this is usually if there is a strong history of breast CA on your mothers side-In short, go to the dr-its probably ok but to rest your mind get it checked out..good luck!
7 :
Are you on crack??? You should have had this checked out by a doctor the second you found it. It may be benign, but if it's cancer it can spread so easily to other parts of your body. However, breast cancer usually has a big genetic component, ie. it runs in families. If you value your health and the health of a potential baby, get it checked immediately. If you leave it and don't bother, I pitty any child who is caught in the middle or stuck with a dumb ass parent.
8 :
Breast cancer is known to be a familial disease, if someone in your family has it, its best you check yourself regularly to avoid it being too late. You have all the signs to make you go get checked, only God knows what that lump is, and the pathologist after they remove it and it has been checked, but what u and I know is thath its a fast growing lump with a family history of breast cancer. You need immediate further investigations and removal of that lump. Do not waste time here, cancer works faster than you think, get to a doctor NOW! Hope all goes well. Good luck with getting pregnant after the breast issue is solved.
9 :
I found a lump at your age once. They told me to quit drinking caffeine, Like coffee. It went away! Then I found another one at age 45. I did the same thing this time and it went away. But you really should get check out. With your dad's side of the family exspeshly.Don't worry until you get it check out.
10 :
If it runs in your family I would definitely get it checked out.
11 :
considering two female family members have had breast cancer I would get it checked out. It could be a benign tumor (just a lump, no cancer) or it could be more serious. Please get it checked out
12 :
its proberly nothing to worry about however given your family history it would be wise to get it looked at also the length of time that you have had the lump concerns me a little heres a website address that may have some useful information but please go to your doctor the sooner its sorted the better www.cancerresearchuk.org/ good luck
13 :
At your age the chances of breast cancer are extremely low - it's almost unheard of in under 25s. In fact fewer than 0.1% of all those diagnosed with it are under 30 and only 5% are under 40. Most breast lumps aren't cancerous, even in women over 50 who make up 80% of those diagnosed. Hereditary cancer is rare; fewer than 10% of all cases are hereditary. Several members of the same family having different types of cancer isn't hereditary - you don't inherit a general tendency to get cancer. A sign that cancer MAY be hereditary within a family due to a rare faulty gene is when several members of the same side of a family have had the SAME type of cancer - ie they have all had breast cancer, or all had colon cancer - especially if some developed it at a younger than usual age. You don't say how old your relatives were at diagnosis; cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is even less likely to be hereditary. Breast cancer is hereditary in only 5 - 10% of cases, due to a rare inherited faulty gene. If your greatgrandma's and grandma's breast cancer were due to one of the two known faulty BRCA genes known to be responsible for hereditary breast cancer, then your father would have had a 50% chance of inheriting that gene from your grandma. If he did inherit it, you would have a 50% chance of having inherited it from him, though inheriting it wouldn't mean you would definitely get breast cancer. If he didn't inherit the gene, nor would you have. But with one in eight women developing breast cancer, it's not unusual for more than one woman in the same family to have non-hereditary breast cancer, particularly after the age of 50. And with at least one in three people getting cancer at some point in their lives, it's not unusual for several members of the same extended family to have non-hereditary cancers. Often people think this means cancer 'runs in their family', but this is rarely the case. In my own family, two of my grandparents died of cancer. Both my parents had cancer and my mother died of it. So did my aunt, my uncle and my cousin. None of their cancers were hereditary, and no members of my immediate or extended family have ever been considered at increased risk of any of the cancers they had (which were, for the record, stomach, lung, colon, kidney and testicular cancers and leukaemia). Of my parents' 6 children, now aged between 47 and 60, I am the only one who has developed cancer (breast), and mine too is non-hereditary and unconnected to theirs. The chances that the lump in your breast is cancer are very low; see your doctor for reassurance
14 :
First of all, You don't seem to have a family history of breast cancer. I have 2 nieces who were diagnosed withe breast cancer and they were only in their 30. Rare, granted, but it does happen. Don't let this go by just because you're young. Have them checked out, Get a mammogram and if your Dr tells you that you are to young, insist on it for peace of mind. My family has a huge history of cancer, actually, all that you mentioned except Leukemia. Never the less, don't let it go. Although rare at your age, it can happen. I wish you the best. I you would contact me, I would give you peace of mind.
15 :
your family history is alarming.i will not say you will get cancer but why do you want to have some abnormal lump in your system. get rid of it and your worry also.more so as you want to become mother. during later stage of pregnancy breast glands will enlarge and you will panic more. so like obedient child go to surgeon and remove the lump instead of taking statistics. this is my honest request to you.let the lump be nothing but get rid off
16 :
Hey Just wanted to reccomend a lengthy blog of answers about this question I will post results after I check
17 :
Call your Dr. and make an appointment without delay. Worry is worse than anything I know. Do not wait. I am a cancer survivor and went early. It's probably not cancer, can be a cyst, calcium deposits etc. go..and be sure.



Read more discussions :