Saturday, March 1, 2008

What are the chances of my mother surviving breast cancer


What are the chances of my mother surviving breast cancer?
My mom has had bumps before in the past, but they were able to take them out and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't cancer. She just had a mammogram and they saw something suspicious. They did a biopsy and it turned out to be cancer. So I guess my mom has breast cancer. She's very religious and thinks that God will heal her. I don't necessarily believe that but I haven't said anything because I definitely believe in the placebo effect. What are the survival rates of women with breast cancer?
Cancer - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Medicine is an imperfect science. It is about guessing, therefore I cannot give you a chance of survival.
2 :
If you are talking about without treatment - I wouldn't think the chances would be good, but I'm not a doctor. But I am a breast cancer survivor that had the surgery and took treatment. Good luck.
3 :
A lot depends on the kind of cancer, the sensitivity to hormones, and the staging. There is a lot of information on the internet. Here is one of many links:http://cancer.about.com/od/breastcancer/f/survivalrate.htm
4 :
I'm not God, i cant tell you your mom will be perfectly healthy tomorow and I'm no Doctor, so I cant tell you what her chances are... But i can comfort you, but telling you that my mother had breast cancer 5 years ago. She had the tumor removed, went through radiation.. and although it was a long healing time, and at times we diddnt know if she would be okay or not, she turned out to be just fine. She was very religious and she believes God healed her. Me.. im not so sure. But i hope that your mom is lucky enough to have God on her side, or whatever it is that will make her healthy. Dont worry too much, youll turn into a wart. I have a feeling shes gonna be just fine :) good luck friend :)
5 :
I too am a religious person who believed that God would heal my breast cancer. He did through the wonderful doctors and nurses who did my surgery, administered chemotherapy and radiation. God works miracles everyday, Sometimes we don't like the answers he gives us... the answer is let the doctors help.
6 :
Her chances are VERY Good. My father had Breast Cancer, and was a Stage 3...he went through Surgery, Chemo, and Radiation. He is still alive 14 Years Later. My friends Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast cancer, and was given 6 months to live. A very religious woman, she shocked them all when she was still alive 5 years later. Have Faith. She will be fine.
7 :
A friend of mine who is a nurse told me that people who are optimistic and are told they have a year to live with cancer, are more likely to live 10-20 years or beat the cancer and that people who give up with cancer that is treatable are more likely to die from it. Breast cancer is very treatable with medical knowledge nowadays so just be optimistic. Keep her busy and tell her to exercise lots. Also, new research shows that 2 handfuls of watercress a day slows the growth of breast tumors, as does green tea. I hope this helps :)
8 :
If you're asking about survival rates for breast cancer, according to statistics it's improving for over twenty years and a number of women have been effectively healed. The most current five-year survival rate for women with breast cancer is 86%. God will really help your mom. I know she can survive the battle against breast cancer. Just be positive and always ask the help of God. Hope this helps



 Read more discussions :