Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How do I begin to prepare for the Breast Cancer three day walk


How do I begin to prepare for the Breast Cancer three day walk?
What types of things do people do to prepare for this? I will have to walk 20 miles a day (with a group so we will need to get fit together) and it will go to raise funds for Breast Cancer research. = ) Thanks! **Note: I am overweight by aout 65 pounds now, so I will need to do strength training, weight loss and be fit in a year. I know I can walk two miles without breaks right now. I was doing that before. = )
Women's Health - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Start taking walks daily. Start at 15 minutes for 3 or 4 days, then add another 15 minutes... and so on until you are walking for 2 to 3 hours without straining yourself. Have a friend with you. Make sure you are wearing proper foot wear and break them in before your 3 day walk. Hydrate well before each walk an carry a water bottle with you. As well as some Gatorade and snack (dried fruits, nuts). Also stretch beforehand. Its important to stretch again after walking, as well as rehydrate... and eat some fruit, protein after walks longer than an hour. I'd also join a gym and ask for a personal trainer to help you with losing weight as well as strength training. Yoga would also be good so that you are stretching your body... and swimming as well.
2 :
Hi. Hope all is well. Great to hear that you are doing the 3-day. I will do it once my little ones are a little older. I have not done it yet, but I know that once you sign up for it there are tons of resources that tell you how to train for it including an initial walker handbook, training walk schedules, training ideas, shoe shopping tips, etc. Go to the following site http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer? agename=experience Personally, I would treat it as you would a run. Since you are going to be travelling about 15-20 miles per day, make sure you build yourself up to about 12 miles before the walk. If you are doing 2 miles now, start increasing mileage at about 1/2 mile everyother week (or week if you think you can push it). It is okay to take breaks and rest days are important. I found a lot of good info on the Runner's World website. I would definitely look over the info they offer on the 3-day site though and take advantage of the coaches they provide. Hope this info helps!! Good luck! Nicole : )






 Read more discussions :