Sunday, June 20, 2010

How can I build up my immune system after breast cancer treatments


How can I build up my immune system after breast cancer treatments?
I have a very low immune system since I had chemotherapy, radiation, and other breast cancer treatments and surgeries. Since I finished chemo and radiation less than a year ago, I have had shingles, meningitis, and have had to fight 2 infections in my left breast that had the radiation in it and will have to go in for surgery to have the implant removed, and replaced. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. What can I do? Also, gained 40 lbs and hate the weight gain.
Cancer - 10 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Eat plenty of: Protein-rich foods Citrus fruits for vitamin C Vegetable oils for vitamin E Spinach, sweet potatoes and carrots which supply beta carotene Cut down on: Animal fats, sugar, alcohol, caffeine and Highly processed carbohydrates Drink 6-8 glasses of water per day. Plenty of rest- Body needs rest from the stress and strain of daily life to get recharged. We depend on adequate restful sleep to restore our bodies and refresh our minds. During deep sleep, our bodies release potent immune-enhancing substances that strengthen immune function. Exercise program- A regular exercise program of low-to-high intensity workout for 25-30 most days of the week is recommended to build a strong immune system. That's all you need to restore your immune system, it is not to hard, just need to get used to it. Wish you the best : )
2 :
What horrid things are going on in your life. You are obviously doing all the sensible things - but if you look on www.after-cancer.com there might be something there that you haven't tried, but makes sense. Look under Food/diet and also exercise - and you can also find some humour for days when you want to throw things! Good luck, and before you go in to hospital you might say you want to see a good Dietician to help you with weight gain. At least whilst you are in hospital you won't have to make a special visit for a consultation. Verite R
3 :
I will suggest you that take GANODERMA, (RG-2 capsules & GL- 2 capsules daily) I would say u that 100% it will help u to improve your immune system, it also help you to cure your breast cancer faster and it shaped up your body naturally. I have suggested many poeple they got 100% satifaction. If you are serious about your health then you should take ganoderma. for more details u can contact me on ejaz1101@gmail.com (9969133286)
4 :
I agree with Mara and my wife and I just had the same kind of experience as you had as far as chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation. Of all three my wife had the hardest time with the radiation. What is different than you it appears is our use of a Naturopatic doctor. Every step of our cancer journey was guided by his recommendations as far as food supplements, diet, and vitamins. So before all the treatments and afterwards he has given my wife (with the blessings of her cancer team) suggestions on what to take for getting through the cancer journey so that her body could take the beating from fighting breast cancer. She is also on the "ACTIVE" program. It is a program at Swedish Cancer Clinic that uses exercise to maintain flexibility and prevent Lymphedema. I too agree about laughter and how important it is to laugh. It is a vital tool in fighting cancer and even during the most difficult times it was a blessing hearing my wife laugh at some comedy she was watching on television. I wish you the best recovery and hope some of these suggestions will make you have a stronger immune system.
5 :
There is a drug called immunogloblin which is given by I V to people with compromised immune systems I do not know if you would qualify for this form of treatment but it would be worth your while to inquire .I receive it because my immune system is compromised by leukemia .I am now in remission but am still getting the drug once a month to bolster my immunity
6 :
Eat a healthy diet. Visit EWG.org to find out what kinds of fruits and veggies are best purchased organic. Lose the extra weight. It isn't doing you any good, neither in terms of overall health (immune function) nor in reducing risk of recurrence. Exercise daily. Daily moderate exercise boosts the immune system and some studies have shown moderate to intense exercise (3-5 hours per week) to reduce risk of recurrence by up to 50%. Some mushrooms, such as shiitake, are well knows to enhance immune function. I personally don't care for mushrooms much, but find I can hide them in things like tacos and even salads.
7 :
Coriolus versicolor. It's a mushroom used in Japan. It's given to patients undergoing chemotherapy specifically to boost their immune systems. You can buy the supplement from lots of places, but I but mine from a company called Mushroom Science. Also, eating a lot of veggies will help your immune system and with the weight issue. I always make myself a HUGE plate of veggies BEFORE dinner. I don't skimp on yummy toppings like cheese or maybe some ranch dressing. But let me tell you, eating a ton a veggies (even covered in bad toppings) before a meal makes me overall eat a lot fewer calories. I've lost about 25 pounds doing this.
8 :
My fiance's parents both have had cancer. . There are healthy supplements ESPECIALLY those that have Tocotrienols. Please google "tocotrienols and cancer" they cure/help/protect. My fiance found a product that has it and has been using them. Here is the link for more research www.kyani.net/acollins Ps. They have high antioxidant stuff that will help with your overall health. Good luck Source(s): www.kyani.net/acollins
9 :
Dave, Mara and Inverse, all good advice. I put on about 15-20 lbs from my treatments also. It's slowly coming off now that I can get out and about a little more. I also take organic flaxseed oil pills with omegas and lignans, vit. d with calcium and also an 81 mg aspirin a day. My onco said everyone should take an aspirin a day.
10 :
Hi Pattie I also had a double mastectomies and two infections on the right side. Which is why I chose not to have implants or reconstructive surgery. Some of us just don't do well with any type of surgery and always end up with some complications after. Now that you've stopped the chemo and radiation, your immune system should begin to build back up on it's own. But you've only stopped in a relatively short time ago and getting sick is holding it back. Take a lot of Vit C. That's the best one for the immune system. My Oncologist told me that. I also eat foods high in vitamins and minerals. Like green leaf veggies. Spinach, beans, etc. I also eat a lot of citrus to keep the Vit C going. You only gained the weight because you have been inactive because of being so sick. I gained a little weight as well, but I was told I needed too anyway. You will loose that weight once you get back on your feet and are able to resume you daily activities and more. Then you can exercise with walks etc. I'm sure you know what you can tolerate. Personally, Are you sure you want the implants again after this. I went with prosthetics and I'm so glad I did. I couldn't stand the thoughts of having more surgery. It's an individual choice, I know. So, sorry if I seem rude, I'm not trying to be at all. I wish you the best






 Read more discussions :