Sunday, May 16, 2010

How did you treat your breast cancer


How did you treat your breast cancer?
I'm curious as to what treatments various women undertook to deal with their breast cancer diagnosis. What treatment did you undergo and why? Did you choose one path over another due to religious or cultural ideas? Did your family support your choice? If they didn't, why? Did family factor into your decision making process? What post management, if any, did you undergo? Please include your cultural background (white, black, asian, pacific islander, ect) and the stage of your cancer in your answer. I'm an undergraduate Anthropology student interested in the decision making process in treatment choices.
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Stage 3, grade 3, oestrogen positive. White, British. I had a mastectomy, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and five years of hormone therapy (Arimidex). Why? Well, I saw no alternative to surgery, although I did consider not having it. I was determined to avoid chemotherapy, ans was actually a bit of an 'alternative medicine' enthusiast at the time of diagnosis. I did dabble with alternatives, even embarked on the Gerson diet - which made me very ill - in an effort to avoid chemotherapy. Luckily, I was researching day and night - nothing prompts frantic research like a diagnosis of cancer - and concluded from my research that not one case of cancer had been proven to have been successfully treated by any alternative method, ever. So... I asked my consultant by what percentage chemotherapy would increase my survival chances. It wasn't insignificant, and although distressed at the prospect I decided to go ahead. Two things helped my decision. My consultant said 'If you have these treatments you have a good chance of being alive in ten years time. If you don't, you don't'. And I asked my chemotherapy oncologist whether he would have chemo if he had cancer (I asked every medical professional I encountered that question; none gave an unqualified 'yes' and I appreciated their honesty). He said 'I don't know. But if I had YOUR cancer I would, and if my mother had your cancer I would urge her to have it'. It was a no brainer, really. No religious (atheist) or cultural influence. I had regular follow up check ups for five years. I was discharged by the hospital 18 months ago. I have been in remission for six years.
2 :
Stage II breast cancer....partial mastectomy followed by 6 rounds of chemo and radiation. Religion did not come into consideration, but I did do a lot of research (Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book was very informative) on chemo, what it does, to you, possible side effects (e.g. congestive heart failure, liver damage, neuropathy....). Yes, family factored into the decision making process. A sister and an aunt have also had breast cancer so I wasn't really surprised that I got it., even though I didn't have the BRCA gene mutation and I have 2 children, the younger was 15 when I was diagnosed. I would like to meet my future grandchildren. I am, as my dad says "Heinz 57" a mix of a lot of ethnic backgrounds, primarily caucasian. I've been in remission for 6 years.
3 :
First you must understand that breast cancer KILLS women and because of it one must do everything possible to get rid of the cancer the first time because that is your BEST chance of getting rid of it. What is important is getting a great team of oncologists, surgeons, naturopathic doctors, and counselors, together to battle the disease. With that in mind the treatment was consistent with what other cancer patients experience. Chemotherapy, Surgery, and Radiation. Family supported the decision because we had the best team possible and took their advice in surviving it. Post management is seeing our oncologist every three months for the first three years, and then seeing her every six months. Diet has changed dramatically for other reasons (High blood pressure) no salt, no sugar, no dairy, and no grains. We also exercise by walking for 40 minutes daily and doing exercises to remain flexible. We had genetic testing done along with genetic counseling. You make what decisions you need to in order to survive up to the point of one's tolerance to treatment. For instance a friend's mom had breast cancer ten years ago and went through the traditional treatment as I described. It came back in her other breast and at 75 years old she made the decision to not go through it again and in ten months she died. We had Triple Negative Breast Cancer, stage 2 B. Doctor's said that if we did the options they gave us our five year survival rate would be 82%. So far we are over two years and there is no evidence of the disease.
4 :
Stage 1 to 2 (non-aggressive cancer), single mastectomy performed (04/12/10), cardinal lymph node found to have a very small cancer cell - all lymph nodes on that side removed (same side as mastectomy). Six rounds of Chemo (I'm taking 4th treatment on 08/19/10 - treatment is every 3 weeks - will finish last treatment on 09/30/10). I additionally elected for Clinical Trials - was accepted and my study group gets traditional chemo along with Avastin (clinical trial drug) - (every 3 weeks for one year - will finish June, 2011). Family played no factor in decisions - have all grown children and am single. Family supported my choices. Ethnicity / Religion: Caucasian / Lutheran (Italian, Scottish & Welsh - I live in Los Angeles). None of this influenced my decisions or care. Hope I helped your research. Good luck. PS - Radiation not required. PSS - Hormone therapy will be required for 5 years beginning when I finish chemo.





 Read more discussions :