Thursday, October 16, 2008

Can parents be screened for breast cancer


Can parents be screened for breast cancer?
Also, are their prenatal tests avalible for breast cancer? And can you discover breast cancer by karyotyping?
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I believe that you are talking about genetic testing for genes linked w/breast cancer.. a controversial issue in some ways, but certainly doable for adults. I, myself, am not a big fan of genetic testing as I think that medical opinion in general is too weighted on the genetic side of cancer vs. the environment and lifestyle influences. For instance, my mom had breast cancer. I had uterine cancer. Does that seem to make great genetic sense? And what about area breast cancer clusters.. surely they signify something. I'm afraid that people will let genetic info give them a sense of doom that isn't necessary. I think it could lead people to surgeries that are unnecessary. (you know some people have prophylactic surgeries meaning to say they have surgeries though they are healthy so that they feel that they aren't taking a risk) I think we are at a point in medicine where we are too apt to prescribe surgeries when other approaches can be taken (for instance, my former doctor told me to have surgery and basically mocked me when I suggested otherwise.. here I am almost 5 years later w/o surgery) Anyways, I will get off my soapbox now, and maybe someone can give you more info.
2 :
The genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2 is a relatively simple blood test but it may take from 4 weeks to several months to get the results. It has been 6 weeks for me and still waiting results. I had breast cancer 3 years ago and come from a large family 1 sister and 1 aunt have also had it and have 40+ nices and nephews who should be made aware of the possible risks so they can take whatever action they feel is appropriate for themselves. There are a lot of pros and cons to being tested. There is some very good information at this site on the pros and cons. The biggest issue that I am aware of is if you have been tested, you may be denied insurance or have your insurance cancelled


 Read more discussions :