Monday, November 24, 2008

What are my chances of getting breast cancer


What are my chances of getting breast cancer?
I am 25. On my dad's side, his sister had breast cancer. I also believe my great grandmother as well. On my mom's side, her sister, and my great grandmother. I haven't been to the doctor in awhile. Insurance kicks in soon, then I will go get a FULL exam. I am just wondering.
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Your chances are the same as the rest of us รข€“ 1 in 8 over your lifetime. You do not need a mammogram until you are 40, unless you have some sort of problem before then.
2 :
Hereditary cancer is rare; fewer than 10% of all cancer cases are hereditary. Cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is even less likely to be hereditary. Only 5 - 10% of all breast cancer cases are hereditary. A sign that breast cancer MAY be hereditary is when several members of the same side of a family have had it, especially if some developed it at a younger than usual age (under 50). In those circumstances genetic testing may be considered appropriate to establish whether the breast cancer is due to one of the rare hereditary faulty genes known to be responsible for hereditary breast cancer. With one in eight women developing breast cancer over a lifetime of 80 years, it's not unusual for an extended family to have two or more members who hae had non-hereditary breast cancer. In your family circumstances you won't be offered genetic testing when you have your full medical examination. For information, fewer than 0.1% of all those diagnosed with breast cancer are under 30, and only 5% are under 40



 Read more discussions :