Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What can I expect on my 6 month breast cancer check up and what questions should i ask


What can I expect on my 6 month breast cancer check up and what questions should i ask?
First I see my medical oncologist and then my breast cancer surgeon. I had a bi-lateral mastecomy.
Cancer - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
They will examine you, probably thump on your back a bit, listen to your heart, maybe have you move your arms around to check your range of motion and ask if you are having any problems. You should ask anything you are wondering about, you might ask your surgeon if he/she will still follow you I don't see mine anymore, just the oncologist yearly. You can ask if there is anything you should be on the lookout for but usually they don't do tests or scans unless there is some reason to do them.
2 :
First of all Congratulations doreendm on your survival. Your surgeon will want to check the operative area for any problems and he/or she will want to check your range of motion. You might want to mention any problems or concerns you have such as swelling of your arms, problems with breast reconstruction,and tingling or numbness in your hands or fingers etc. Your oncologist will likely want to go over your test results with you. I am assuming you have had a bone scan, sonogram and mammography done. BTW you can ask to see the results, and images and have them explained to you. Your oncologist will likely want to review your medicines. Be sure to update him. Ask about side effects, address any concerns or problems you have. And yes ask about ask about your prognosis if you feel comfortable doing so.



 Read more discussions :