Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Do i have a great risk of getting breast cancer


Do i have a great risk of getting breast cancer?
My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was in her early teens? The last april my grandmother was diagnosed as well. She has has surgery and chemo treatments. Then last june my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. They are all on my mothers side of the family. My three aunt's on my fathers side has had breast cancer but they are not of very close relation. Am I at a high risk for breast cancer? And what steps should I take?
Cancer - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yeah, be sure to get mamographs... check urself for bumps if u find something unusual go to the doctor and let them scan u
2 :
Everything else being equal, you are at a higher risk than someone with no family history of breast cancer, but you are not a high risk. You should start getting mammograms when you are 10 years younger than your mother age at diagnosis. It is almost unheard of to get breast cancer in your early teens, so I’m not sure what is going on there. This is a medical journal type case. How is it that aunts on your dad’s side are not as close a relation as an aunt on your mother’s side?
3 :
Yeah you do have a great risk! I am like you but worse, my grandmother had it but survived, my mother got it but she died 2 years ago :( We have to go and get check ups regularly. I had a scare when i was 19, i had a hard large lump in my breast and i got a biopsy but it was ok, it was benign. Good-luck, keep up your check ups!
4 :
Yes. In find from what you have stated that Cancer has run into your family from Maternal and Paternal sides. A family history of breast cancer. If you have a mother, sister or daughter with breast cancer, you have a greater chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer. Still, the majority of people diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history of the disease. So it is very essential you should be careful and have periodical checkups to ensure that you are free from Breast cancer or even if detected in early stages it will be easier to treat it sucessfully. You can have BRCA gene tests. Inherited genes that increase cancer risk. Certain gene mutations that increase the risk of breast cancer can be passed from parents to children. The most common gene mutations are referred to as BRCA1 and BRCA2. These genes can greatly increase your risk of breast cancer and other cancers, but they don't make cancer inevitable. The BRCA gene test is a blood test that uses DNA analysis to identify changes (mutations) in either one of two breast cancer susceptibility genes — known as BRCA1 or BRCA2. Genetic counseling also is part of the BRCA gene test process. After having a BRCA gene test performed, you learn whether you carry an inherited BRCA gene mutation and receive an estimate of your personal risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Alternately a mammogram, once in a year need to be done. A mammogram is an X-ray of the breast. Mammograms are commonly used to screen for breast cancer. If an abnormality is detected on a screening mammogram, your doctor may recommend a diagnostic mammogram to further evaluate that abnormality. However I request you not to worry much and be careful and get the tests done to detect the deisease when occures. Best of luck -
5 :
95% of women have a 1 in 8 risk. 4% have a 1 in 4 risk. 1% have a 1 in 2 risk. Given your family history, there is a high chance you have a genetic predisposition, putting you in the 4% having a 1 in 4 risk. Be vigilant. Discuss a screening /monitoring plan with your Dr, and remember that still leaves you with a 3 in 4 chance of never having breast cancer.
6 :
You could be. The best thing you can do is to have regular checkups and mammograms. That way, if you ever have anything suspicious going on, it will be caught at an early time and you will not have to worry about anything. So please just have regular checkups nd talk to yur doctor about your family that has had cancer.
7 :
I think you do. I've seen answers in this section which claim cancer is not heriditary unless you have BRAC (whatever it is gene). But I agree with the people who say it is. My father's sister had breast cancer and my mother's sister had breast cancer. I have breast cancer. I don't know how old you are, but I would start getting mammograms as soon as possible. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.





  Read more discussions :