Thursday, November 1, 2012

Are you or do you know someone who has been a breast cancer survivor for a long time


Are you or do you know someone who has been a breast cancer survivor for a long time?
I am so terrified of relapsing from breast cancer and i am afraid that i won't survive this disease. I just want to hear some stories from or about people who are long term breast cancer survivors just to give me some type of inspiration. Lo_ MCG I apologize to you for what i have said to you. I said that out of anger and i am very sorry. I hope you will accept my apology.
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, I am five years eight months from diagnosis, and I had a poor prognosis. The person I know personally who has survived longest was diagnosed nineteen years ago. I believe you had triple negative breast cancer, and that you were diagnosed at a very young age, both of which are worrying for you. I only know one person who had triple negative bc, and she was diagnosed six years ago. My understanding is that although recurrence is more likely in the first couple of years for triple neg cancers, the risk declines after that and after 5 years the risk is the same as for someone with er+ breast cancer - which is statistically greatly decreased and decreasing further with every year that follows. You have accused me in the past of being negative (and once wished me dead), but I am genuinely trying to help here.
2 :
I don't have an answer to your question but I wanted to say god bless you. I don't know you but I will pray for you.
3 :
I am a survivor but not that long. My sister is a 15 yr survivor and she had one of the worse kinds of breast cancer. It was very aggressive and fast growing. I have 2 nieces as well, One is a 10 yr survivor and the other is less than I am. You can't live your life being terrified of getting cancer again. Great strides are being done for breast cancer and it's getting better and better. Early detection is the key. You will survive but you have to have a positive attitude. I hope a lot of people answer this question and put your mind at ease. I have one last thing to say. I admire Lo-mcg. Even though you wish her dead, (which I didn't know until I read her answer). she hold no ill will toward you. In my book, that makes her one heck of a great person. I think you should tell her that you're sorry but only if you mean it. She's like me, I never hold grudges either. We are all here to help one another get passed bad times. I was told by a woman at my church who also had breast cancer, that we women are sisters. Breast cancer makes us more sympathetic to others who have it and we are a sisterhood. So Lo-mcg, myself and anyone else who had or has this are all sisters and we should all encourage one another. So don't spend time being terrified. Take one day at a time and beleive that you won't have it again. Pray. It really works. God bless you and you to Lo
4 :
lo_mcg is one of the people who makes sense here. I don't really keep track but I think I'm about 12 years out from my first BC. I've had it again, not recurrences but independent events. Is 12 years a long time? Well it was long enough for me to get done what I absolutely had to get done. My kids are raised, from here on in it is all gravy. The fear of recurrence is something that all cancer patients have to deal with. I don't have any cure for the "ooh my knee hurts, must be bone cancer" "oh I have a cough, must be lung cancer" or any of the other twinges that have scared us. Personally I've had nose cancer, brain cancer, leg cancer and rib metastases - NOT. But they sure seemed likely at the time. I might make you just as mad at me as at lo_mcg but I fully expect to eventually die from this disease. I plan for that not to happen for a while yet, but the prospect doesn't dismay me.
5 :
I know a woman who turned 100 last year (she's still alive) and had breast cancer in 1963. On the website www.after-cancer.com there are lots of quotes and case studies of people who have lived a long time, and are still alive - see the DVD on breast reconstruction. And only last week very positive statistics re increased survival rates were issued by major UK cancer charities. So we have a better and better chance of surviving - good luck! Verite R


Read more discussions :