Friday, May 8, 2009

Breast cancer


Breast cancer?
Why is breast cancer a hot topic? I think that it is wrong to just sell pins none stop and have talk shows about 24x7x365. We also have walks, talks etc.... yes it is terrible thing but if women take care of them self and do check ups they can be proactive... and save themselfs.... how about diseases or illnesses that people cant do anything about- like parkinsons, multiple sclerosis, leukimia, Lou gerids etc... how about them? I think Breast cancer is terrible but you have options...other people dont... why dont we focus on disease in general... or is this a fear thing on women...
Cancer - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
your a crackhead.... hopefully you'll get cancer in your balls, and then we'll discuss what you could've done to prevent that.......
2 :
Brest cancer just affects much more people than Parkinsons, for example. I am not saying people with Parkinsons suffer less, it's just less of them. Every woman is afraid of breast cancer - that's where all these talks are coming from.
3 :
The reason why some diseases get more attention than others because someone decided to raise their voice about it. If someone raised their voice as loud for MS, Lou Gerids, Parkinsons, they'd probably get as much attention too.
4 :
It's because breast cancer is affecting far too many people lately and someone finally stood up and decided to do something about it. Everyone knows someone or knows someone who knows someone who has it & that gives them a personal connection to the disease and makes them want to do help conquer it! It can be prevented and that's why there's so much discussion about it. Because people are trying to stop it from being so common. This shouldn't be considered a "bad" thing. If we can stop one more person from suffering through it then why shouldn't we? And yes, other diseases should be noticed too, but realistically not every disease is going to be put in the spotlight. At least we're tackeling this one disease at a time. :)
5 :
Today's the last day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month... discussion should taper down a bit until next year. Did you know that Breast Cancer Awareness Month was actually the brainchild of a British chemical conglomerate Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) which for the past 20 years has been the largest manufacturer of Tamoxifen? They also produce Agent Orange and DDTs, which studies have found are be specifically associated with increased incidence of breast cancer. So, basically, they're making a fortune off of a disease they contribute to causing. The sad part is, women contribute wholeheartedly to programs like Race for the Cure... believing that they're truly making a difference, when all they're doing is using their hard-earned money to line the pockets of some of the wealthiest corporations in the world! (It's true...the American Cancer Society is the wealthiest nonprofit organization in the world!) They're guilting women into participating by claiming that with "just a little more money," they could find the cure for cancer. How many years have they been saying that, now... ? I've said it before, and I'll say it again... breast cancer is extraordinarily profitable, if you're on the right side of the fence.
6 :
I am very angry about all this cancer stuff. My sister does not have any insurance and has three lumps in her breast. Do you think they would pay for a mammogram NO. She had to pay 200 for the mammogram and then they said she needed an ultrasound which cost another 250. She paid it then the clinic said the first appt. she could get is Dec 7,06 to see a surgeon because she needs a biopsy. One of the lumps is so big it shows from under her shirt. I am so mad I could scream. You know years ago I walked in the relay for life. I walked three years in a row and got money for them. I am sorry, Wait until you need it or someone in your family and see how much help you get. She lives in Danville Virginia and has called everyone there to get help. No one can help
7 :
its so that people and be aware my grandmother checked herself had her yearly mamogram and she ended up with breast cancer and she had a double mastecamy she was cancer free for 10yrs and then it can back into her bones and she lost the fight this year so i think you need to realize that...
8 :
" I think breast cancer is terrible but you have options..." That is an interesting quote. I was diagnosed at 29 years old while I was 8 months pregnant. While I have been very lucky and have done everything I can, from a double mastectomy to chemo to radiation to a years worth of an antibody, a 5 year study, and taking pills for 5 years, there are other women out there who don't have those options. Either the cancer has spread too far to control, or maybe their cancer is not receptive to the antibody I spoke of, or maybe since they were ER- they can't take the pill that I can. So you see, breast cancer is not black and white and everyone does NOT survive it. Like other cancers, it can return at any time, leaving you the rest of your life worrying about it. I don't know why people are asking this question over and over on the cancer board. Why not post under just diseases and conditions instead of in a cancer board where women like me end up feeling guilty because we got a type of cancer that gets more publicity than others? And yes, it is a fear thing in women in a society where breasts and bodies matter. Let me tell you, it's not much fun to have them cut off. I had to wait 6 months before I could have reconstruction so I have to put fake ones on, which limited the types of shirts I could wear, and were hot, and made me sweat, and running....well....let's not go there. P.S. I found the lump, but the mamogram showed 3 lumps total, the biggest one was 4 cm. My surgeon told me that normally it takes about 8 years for a tumor to grow that big. So just when I was graduating college could be the time that it started growing. I guess I should have been "proactive" then.
9 :
those things are actualy more controlable than you think


 Read more discussions :