Wednesday, October 28, 2009

How long do you normally stay in the hospital after you have breast cancer surgery


How long do you normally stay in the hospital after you have breast cancer surgery?
How long do you normally stay in the hospital after you have breast cancer surgery? It was a small tumor, about 6mm, once you have surgery, do they leave in the hospital for a couple of days? Any experience?
Cancer - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
its hard to tell its up to your doctor and how your doing but if the doctor found something then he or she will talk to you but most insurance compys what you out of the hospital asap but if everything is ok maybe a day or so to be in the hospital .i really hope your going to be ok please take care scott
2 :
I had my operation done in the day care ward in the hospital I was let out in two days I had a lumpectomy done it could be a few more days for a mastectomy .it all depends on the surgeon if he thinks your are well enough to leave .xxxxx
3 :
I had a bilateral mastectomy earlier this year. I had it in the morning and was out before noon the next day. That is pretty standard in my area, but we have good support services so I had a visiting nurse stop by my home to change dressings and remove stitches etc.
4 :
My wife had a mastectomy in the afternoon and after the surgery she said she had not felt as good as she felt for the last two weeks as she did after surgery. Often the unknown is what is taxing on the psyche. She was on Percocet for pain every four hours the first day. Also, the nurse came in to do her drain. After the second time, I asked if I could do it. After that I did the drain, the nurse said I did such a good job, that I could follow her and do the drains for the other patients! I said, "no thanks, one is enough!" She walked around before she went to sleep. She woke up and walked again. She had breakfast and by 2:00 she was discharged from the hospital. At home, I did the drain. She took Percocet two more times and then switched to Advil. One Advil every 4 hours for the next two days. Her drain was about every 2 hours. She would have more fluid after she did her exercises. The drain lasted one week. After that she would see the surgeon about every 4 days for about two weeks. The overall experience of getting the mastectomy was one of fear of the unknown. Our surgeon specialized in breast surgery, so we had a lot of confidence in his ability. The operation did not hurt and she was off the prescription drugs after one day at home. The drain is tricky, there is a technique to it. I would ask the nurse to show you how and then do it. It has been about a month and a half since her operation. She had started chemotherapy again, and is doing fine on Taxol. Good luck, it will be fine.
5 :
Days? As if. I had the lumpectomy and axillary node dissection at about 10 am and was home in time for a late lunch



 Read more discussions :