Thursday, October 1, 2009

How many people my age have breast cancer


How many people my age have breast cancer?
I'm 21 years old and recently had an open breast biopsy. What are the chances that I actually have breast cancer?
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
All humans have the posibility to have cancerĂ‚¡ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_cancer
2 :
Very, very few people your age have breast cancer; 80% of people diagnosed with it are over 50 and it's very rare in people in their twenties, though not unknown. However it's impossible to comment on your individual case and your chances of having cancer. I'm so sorry you have this worry; I hope you get your results soon and that they are negative.
3 :
While it is rare for women under the age of 40 to be diagnosed with breast cancer, it does happen. I was diagnosed at the age of 31 with Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma. I know we are told not to be diligent about getting our mammograms until we hit 40, but if you go to the following sites: youngsurvival.org or breastcancer.org You will see that there are PLENTY of women who have been diagnosed with it. Now, that being said, 80% of breast lumps are benign (non-cancerous). That puts you at a pretty good chance of being ok. If, and only IF this is cancer, your doctors will get you started on an action plan right away and help you fight it, go into remission, and move on with your new normal. Until you get those wretched results, you MUST keep busy. I know, easier said than done, right? Read a book, watch mindless TV, go for walks, scream into a pillow. Anything to get you through. The reason why is that no matter what you do, worry NEVER will change an outcome. I know, this is a very scary time for you. You have done the right thing by getting yourself checked out



 Read more discussions :