Saturday, March 20, 2010

How likely am I to get breast cancer


How likely am I to get breast cancer?
I am only fifteen years old. However, my Aunt died of breast cancer when I was very young. I also think another member of my family, I think my grandmother's sister, had breast cancer. My mom does not have breast cancer. I am really worried that I will get it when I am older. How likely is it that I will get it, since it's in my genes? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You are at greater risk for developing it since you have family members that have had it. However, at 15 you really don't need to worry too much. When the time comes (usually around 16 or 18) for you to see a gynecologist for your 1st pap smear tell him/her about your family history of breast cancer and make sure they give you a breast check to feel for any lumps. In the mean time, begin to check your breasts on a monthly basis when your are soaped up in the shower by feeling them in a circular motion from your armpit around toward the breast bone moving inward towards the nipple to see if you notice any changes (lumps) and when you are 40 start getting annual mammograms. (x-rays of the breast) You could have genetic testing to see what your risk is if you are really concerned.
2 :
Not Likely. It isn't all about genetics. You can get it on your own, too. When you get "ALOT" Older and old enough for a Mammogram you can ask them for genetic testing to see what your chances are. Right now, please don't worry about it. No, unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to prevent it.
3 :
There is nothing to indicate it is in your genes. Having a few 2nd, 3rd and 4th degree relatives with breast cancer does not increase your risk for it. Therefore, you have the same risk as every other female which is 1 in 8 over your lifetime. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. ALSO - self breast exams are not recommended at your age. You donĂ¢€™t need to start that until you are 30.
4 :
Less than 10% of breast cancers are genetically related. 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer and for 9 out of 10 of these women it is just bad luck. Having a 1st degree relative diagnosed with a genetically related form of breast cancer or 2 or more 1st degree relatives diagnosed with an unidentified form of breast cancer may increase your risk. Your aunt is a 2nd degree relative, your great aunt is a 3rd degree relative. Neither of these have any effect on your risk factors, so you have a 1 in 8 risk, same as any other woman.






Read more discussions :