Thursday, September 1, 2011

What Should My Thesis Statement Be for My Speech on Breast Cancer in the US


What Should My Thesis Statement Be for My Speech on Breast Cancer in the US?
My specific goal for my speech is to inform my audience about breast cancer, and it̢۪s extent in the United States. My speech is basically going to include information about symptoms/risk factors, treatment, and how a person can possibly lower their risk. What should I write as my thesis statement for my speech, and is there any other information that I should include in my speech?
Cancer - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Personally, it seems to me that most males are really just not interested in female breast cancer. The irony is that guy get breast cancer too. I think female breast cancer has a fairly equal distribution across the global female population. So, start there, go to the WHO, world health organization, as well as the CDC Ask if they have available data regarding that issue. Use wikipedia for their resources. Your thesis statement might be; The unaddressed incidence of trans global female breast cancer. The lack of effort of undeveloped nations to provide education. The lack of these same countries to provide treatment to those diagnosed cases, and how little value females have in these countries. I realize pulling these issues together succinctly appears a daunting chore, but they are really quite closely related. You can do it. I know you can.
2 :
It really depends on the content of your thesis, and how you want to present it, as to how you wish to form the Statement. As a factual statement, as a statistical document or as a wakeup call. Having presented many lectures in my time, you would have to limit your ideas in accordance with the type of audience that you expect to present your speech to. Health professionals would expect a different presentation than members of the general public. I would make a few points on the subject - Breast cancer affects one in eight women during their lives. Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. No one knows why some women get breast cancer, but there a number of risk factors. Risks that you cannot change include+++++++etc. Other risks, which you can change, include being overweight, using hormone replacement therapy, taking birth control pills, drinking alcohol, not having children or having your first child after age 35 or having dense breasts+++++etc. If all you intend to include are symptoms, risk factors and treatment, then your task will be much easier than if you intended to include with the treatment, symptoms and risk factors, details of the tests, diagnosis and causes. If you are a health professional, you might gain some information on the format of lectures on this subject from your medical library, if you are not in the medical profession, help might be gained from the reference department in your local public library. I regret that it is almost impossible to advise you in this matter. Mainly due to the lack of detail and the discussion that would be needed to ascertain all the facts in order to arrive at a specific answer. Hope this helps matador 89
3 :
I would make sure you stay AWAY from the whole low fat diet thing re: lowering your risk. . . JAMA disproved this theory years ago and American Cancer Society only still promotes it because womens' risk of heart disease is still so high--so in that it supports the Heart Association. An interesting topic would be to address the "increase" in young women getting breast cancer. Can it be tied to the hormones used in chicken and beef? Is the fact that girls are getting earlier onset of their menses and larger breasts all the time a factor? OR. . . get with my Onco, Ruth O'Reagan and discuss why black women are twice as likely to be triple negative and therefore have less treatment options.
4 :
How about.. "Breast Cancer.. It's more than Simple Genetics" If my mom believed that line, perhaps she would be alive today. Old-school thought was that there wasn't so much risk in getting breast cancer if it wasn't obviously in the family. My mom's mother and grandmothers didn't have it. I had cancer, you might even say I had 2 forms (one was cancer level 0).. neither of them were breast cancer. I couldn't talk mom into testing and then it became too late. I bet there are still many women, like my mom, holding onto the notion that if they don't know of any women in the family who had breast cancer, that they are relatively safe from the possibility. You might discuss geographic "hot spots" such as where I grew up (long island) and why they might factor (actually I think they basically don't know), etc.






  Read more discussions :