Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What are the chances I have breast cancer


What are the chances I have breast cancer?
I feel my chest once at the beginning of every month for bumps. My grandmother died of breast cancer 11 years ago and my mom has finally won her battle against breast cancer (which she had for about a year to fight). My mom was my grandmother's oldest child and I'm my mother's oldest child. Yesterday I felt a bump in my left breast and became concerned. I am only 18, but I am worried. I also have type 1 diabetes which I inherited from my grandmother's side of the family. Do I have high chances of having breast cancer?
Cancer - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
well there is a chance that you could have breast cancer but you are never sure
2 :
The chances that you actually have breast cancer are just about zero, as it's almost unheard of in under 25s. As the daughter of someone who's had breast cancer, you will probably be treated as at increased risk as you get older as a precaution anyway. But breast cancer is in fact rarely hereditary, only 5 - 10% of cases are. Has it been established that your mother and grandmother's breast cancers were due to one of the rare inherited faulty genes known to be responsible for hereditary breast cancer, BRCA1 or BRCA2? Has your mother been tested for the genes? If she has, and she does carry one of the genes, then you and each of her other children have a 50% chance of having inherited the gene (being the oldest makes no difference). Inheriting the gene would not mean you would definitely get breast cancer. If she doesn't carry one of the genes, then nor will you. I know someone who carries one of the genes and has developed breast cancer. Her three adult daughters have now been tested; one has inherited the gene, the other two haven't and are at no known increased risk of breast cancer. Talk to your mother about this; ask her whether she has been tested for the gene, or if if it has been recommended that she should be. Even in the small number of cases where breast cancer is hereditary within a family, the chances of developing it at age 18 are still very close to zero.
3 :
In the United States , approximately 180,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. Of these cases, an estimated 7% of breast cancer is thought to be due to the presence of two breast cancer susceptibility genes: BRCA1 and BRCA2. The men and women who have inherited the mutated genes have a 50% higher risk of developing breast cancer in their lifetime. There are other inherited genes that are known to predispose to breast cancer but these mutated genes are very rare. Only a small fraction of cases are due to the inherited genetic predisposition of an alteration in a single gene. You should also get mammograms once a year to make sure everything is normal. On http://www.health-stories.org/breast-cancer-tumor.html#quiz I found many answers about breast cancer. I hope you will get all the answers there.





 Read more discussions :